In Non-Vegetarian Indian Cuisine, Fish recipes have their own prominence which is followed by other seafood like prawns and crabs but one recipe which is still waiting to get its fair share of fame is Fish Egg Recipe. Fish Eggs are very delicious if cleaned and cooked well, the taste of fish eggs is quite earthy and the texture is grainy. Once you acquire the taste of fish eggs I am sure you will want to explore more recipes for cooking fish eggs.
The recipe that I am sharing today is quite an off-beat one, Fish Egg Bhurji is what we are making today. There is nothing unique in this recipe as it may appear like a simple egg bhurji recipe what is important here is the quantity of some ingredients that makes the difference.
How To Clean Fish Eggs
Wash the eggs thoroughly in water
Remove the veins and the membrane
Try to get rid of all the veins and most of the membrane. The Eggs are covered with a very thin membrane.
Wash it once again, but do not rub it anymore as the membrane is removed and thus you may lose the eggs
Tips To Make Fish Egg Bhurji
Tomato is the main ingredient that you need to use quite liberally. Adding Tomatoes enhances the texture of the dish as fish eggs are normally dry and grainy, tomatoes will impart a soft texture to the bhurji
Chop the onions as fine as possible again to avoid the dry crumbly texture of the dish
Fish egg bhurji requires a little extra oil as it fluffs up once it starts getting cooked.
Fry it well to get rid of the strong smell it has.
Fish Egg Bhurji Recipe | Fried Scrambled Fish Eggs
Fish Egg Bhurji | Indian Style Scrambled Fish Egg Recipe
- Fish Eggs – 150 gms
- Tomatoes – – 4 medium sized (finely chopped)
- Onion – 2 medium Sized (finely chopped)
- Green Chillies- 2-3
- Curry leaves 5-6 leaves (optional)
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Red chilly Powder – 1 tsp (or as per preference)
- Coriander Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – per taste
- Green coriander – Chopped
- Mustard Oil 4-5 tablespoons
- Heat Oil in a pan (preferably thick bottomed)
- Add finely chopped onions and fry till they become light pink
- Add green chillies and curry leaves, fry for few seconds
- Bung in the chopped tomatoes
- Add the powdered spices and salt
- Cover and cook till tomatoes become soft, we only want the tomatoes go soft don't fry it till it becomes dry as the moisture will help making the dish soft.
- Add the fish eggs and mix by stirring, keep stirring till all the eggs becomes white.(if you dont stir the fish eggs will start sticking to the pan)
- Fry the eggs (constantly stirring) in Low to medium flame till the oil starts oozing out of the fish egg bhurji. You need to fry it for about 8-10 minutes in slow flame. Don't wait till the oil starts foaming as this will make the eggs too hard and grainy.
- Turn off the heat and garnish with green coriander
Serve this yummy fish egg bhurji with plain paratha or it can even be relished just by itself. It goes really well with cocktails and mock-tails.
Karishma loves everything that makes life simple and happier. Cooking is her stress buster as she loves to cook for her family and friends. She blogs at Nature’s Best Home Remedies.. An entrepreneur by profession she is a doting homemaker and a curious learner.