Mexican Rice – This is one of the basic dishes in the whole worldwide. In Mexico, most of the typical Mexican dishes are served with rice and refried beans on the side; red rice or Mexican rice is usually used. No matter if you call it Mexican rice, or Mexican-flavoured rice, they all include the distinctive flavour of Mexico.
Follow our rich and quick recipe to prepare this dish. We will tell you in an easy way how to make Mexican rice. On this occasion we will make Mexican rice, many people suffer because they do not fit, if you follow this recipe you will have no problem, and there is no reason why you do not get your rice, I hope it serves you. Well, do not be intimidated by the fact of preparing rice, it is very easy. Just follow the “golden rule” in which the liquid has to double the rice.
Another important aspect at the time of preparing the rice is to use a saucepan with a thick bottom that is not too deep. In this way, you will get the best results. We give this recipe of how to make Mexican rice with olive oil although you could also use vegetable oil.
Make Mexican Rice At Home
The recipe is suitable for vegetarian or vegan diets substituting chicken broth for vegetable broth. Bringing several spices such as cumin and chilli powder has a pronounced taste, so even if it does not carry a pinch of meat or fish the taste is noticeable. Rice is a recurring ingredient in cooking since it is easy to prepare and very economical.
As it is well with practically everything, by its versatility we propose the elaboration of a different version with the ingredient that surely you have: delicious Mexican rice, which mixes the flavours and the colours of vegetables like onion, garlic and paprika and of some savoury sausages. How does it sound?
Mexican rice is a basic recipe that can adjust according to personal tastes: from sweet and sweet to spicy for the brave diners. Mexican rice will be ready in just 30 to 45 minutes. The result will be a spicy and delicious dish that will be enough for 6 people. Have the ingredients for this delicious and inexpensive simple dish and learn how to make Mexican rice and prepare it with very little effort.
Things You Will Need:
- Large pan with lid
- Cutting board
- Sharp knife
How to Cook Mexican Rice:
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil or canola
- 1 cup white rice
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups water or chicken broth
- 1/2 cup chopped white onion
- 1 tomato chopped into 4 equal pieces
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce or pasta
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chicken broth powder
- 1 jalapeño or the chilli of your preference
- Lime slices
Parboiled Rice to Mexico:
- 1 cup short-grain white rice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped basil
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped onion
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup of Mexican sauce
- 1 chilli of your chopped preference
Steps for How to Make Mexican Rice:
Method 1: Mexican rice:
- Put 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil or canola oil in a large heavy-bottomed pan. Heat the oil, then add 1 cup of raw white rice to the hot oil. The pan should be covered with oil evenly.
- Stir the rice with oil, and then cook until it begins to brown. Once the rice starts to brown, continue cooking it, stirring frequently so that it does not burn. Cook until the rice is evenly browned.
- Chop 2 cloves of garlic. Add the garlic to the rice when the rice is almost golden.
- Pour 2 cups cold water or chicken stock into the golden rice. Add 1/2 cup chopped white onion, 1 tomato chopped into 4 equal pieces, ¼ cup tomato sauce or pasta, 1 teaspoon cumin, 1 teaspoon chicken broth powder and 1 jalapeño or the chilli of your preference.
- Lower the heat to medium-low, and then cook the rice to the Mexican for about 20 to 30 minutes. If you want it fluffy, do not open the lid at all until after 20 minutes. The Mexican rice will be ready when the water has been absorbed and the rice is quite dry.
- Serve the Mexican rice with a few slices of fresh lime and salsa. This rice can be served as a garnish with chilli, enchiladas, burritos, or tacos or as a tortilla filling with beans, corn, hot sauce, and cilantro or with the ingredients of your choice.
Method 2: Precooked Mexican Rice:
- Add 3 tablespoons of olive oil to a skillet. Put it on high heat.
- Take the rice out of the refrigerator. Add the cold rice along with the onion with garlic. Cook until golden.
- Add the basil, the green onion, salt and pepper to taste, and the Mexican room. Finally, add the chilli of your choice.
- Cook until the rice is dry, light and fluffy. The rice should not stick.
- Serve immediately.
- You can finish cooking the Mexican rice in the oven if you want. After you have added the ingredients to the rice, put the rice in a pan with a capacity of 1 litre. Put the rice in a preheated oven at 180 ° C (350 ° F). Put the lid on the pan or cover it with foil, then bake the Mexican rice for 30 to 40 minutes or until the rice is tender and quite dry.
- If desired, add chopped green pepper or sliced olives to the chopped onions and other ingredients.
- It is important to rinse well the rice before cooking it because this eliminates the starch that it has on its surface. Moreover, the rice grain ends up looser so it doesn’t stick when cooking.
- This dish is served garnished with cooked egg slices and parsley. A classic of Mexican food!
- If you prefer a more natural flavour, substitute tomato puree for homemade garlic with liquefied tomatoes, onion and garlic.
Karishma loves everything that makes life simple and happier. Cooking is her stress buster as she loves to cook for her family and friends. She blogs at Nature’s Best Home Remedies.. An entrepreneur by profession she is a doting homemaker and a curious learner.