Rohu fish is among the most popular freshwater fishes that are relished in almost every part of India. Bengali cuisine is known for its delicious fish preparations made mostly with Rohu fish, Hilsa fish, etc., Bengalis love their Rui Macchh.
Rohu or Carp fish is enjoyed equally in every state of India and each state has its own special recipe to cook this delicious fish. Fish Curries and Fish Fries are the staples, but there are other recipes of fish like Fish Masala that are gaining popularity nowadays.
Rohu Fish Masala Curry
Rohu Fish Masala Recipe is a thicker version of normal fish curry (jhol / rassa). It is a simple recipe that can be enjoyed with Chapati and Tandoori Roti, a fish masala is basically a rich version of Fish Curry with flavors more concentrated and intense. A Fish Masala is a modified version of fish curry which is more like a restaurant-style recipe.
This recipe of Fish Masala curry can be made with Rohu, Catla, and Surmai fish. I am using a small amount of curd also in this recipe which makes the masala even thicker and creamy.
The cooking process of this dish is divided into two steps
First is marinating and frying the fish
The second step is preparing the graving and combining the fried fish with the gravy.
You need to be very careful while frying the fish, if you are doing it for the first time, I would suggest you to take the help of someone who already knows how to fry fish safely. If you have no one to guide you at home you can check this video on how to fry rohu fish for adding to the grav
Rohu Fish Masala Recipe | How To Make Rohu Masala With Curd
- Rohu Fish – 5-6 pieces
- For Frying The Fish
- Lemon Juice 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder 1 tsp
- Salt per taste
- Wheat Flour 2 tsp
- For Fish Masala Gravy
- Onion Finely Chopped- 2 Medium Sized
- Ginger Garlic Paste 2 tablespoons
- Homemade Fish Masala Powder 2 tsp (or Eastern Fish Masala Powder)
- Turmeric powder 1/2 tsp
- Red Chilly Powder 1 tsp
- Yogurt 3 tablespoons (whisked)
- Coriander Powder 1/2 tsp
- Cooking Oil ( I use Kacchi Ghani Mustard Oil)
- Green Chillies 2
- Fresh Green Coriander (Cilantro)
- Marinate The Fish
- Add Lemon Juice, Turmeric Powder and salt to the fish pieces. Let sit for half an hour or atleast 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan
- Once the oil is hot add the fish pieces and put the flame in medium heat
- Fry the fish well from both sides, transfer to a plate / bowl lines with paper towel and keep aside.
- Prepare The Gravy
- Add oil in a pan and fry the onions in it, till golden brown.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute, when the raw smell of ginger and garlic paste is gone add the powdered spices and salt as per taste
- Pour in 1/2 cup of water and let the spices cook in medium flame, cook till the oil comes on top
- Once the masala base in cooked reduce the flame and add in the yogurt.
- Mix the yogurt with spice base by stirring continuously in circular motion
- Add the fried fish pieces to the gravy
- Pour in 1/2 cup of water
- Add chopped green chillies and green coriander(cilantro)
- Cover and let it simmer for 3=4 minutes in medium flame
You can use a homemade fish masala powder for this recipe to get the best result. It is easy to make and store, It can be used in fish fry, fish curry, fish masala, and fish pickle.
Karishma loves everything that makes life simple and happier. Cooking is her stress buster as she loves to cook for her family and friends. She blogs at Nature’s Best Home Remedies.. An entrepreneur by profession she is a doting homemaker and a curious learner.